Saturday, January 26, 2013

How Intrusive Will the Next Generation of Learning Be?


What intrigued me about the EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative Annual Meeting 2013 was the theme: "Advancing the Next Generation of Learning."   The description goes on to say:

The next generation of learning involves the orchestration of a broad range of innovations and campus resources.  It focuses on the rapid evolution of learning technology, charting its migration from the desktop to the cloud and highly mobile devices. It explores the ecosystem of the learning environment, looking to provide a personalized experience that contributes to greater student success. It entails seeking evidence of impact, recognizing the need to evaluate and share what works. In short, the move towards the next generation of learning is higher education re-inventing itself.
 The original context of this blog was social media which resulted in the tagline "Shaping your online identity to balance community with privacy".  I'm moving into the realm of learning in higher education so I'm debating whether to change the tagline, keep the tagline but go off topic, or start a new blog.  I highlighted "provide a personalized experience" which suggests adaptive learning (see my master-based learning board on Learni.st).  That means we (educators) need to know what you know.  As a consequence (to be on topic), you may not be able to shape your online identity - it may follow you.

My own work with case-based exam progressive Bloom questions suggests that I need even more information about my students to really understand who they are before I can engage them in a way that suits their state of cognitive development.

I'm looking forward to the questions the conference hopes to address:
  • What are the frameworks for the next generation of learning?
  • Which course models advance new models of learning that maximize student engagement and persistence?
  • What does teaching and learning research say about emerging technologies and practices?
  • What rubrics and methods do we need to evaluate our efforts?
  Perhaps I should change the tagline to "Shaping your online cognitive identity to balance community learning with privacy".  Let me know what you think about the proposed tagline.


No comments:

Post a Comment